R Package lefko3
Lefko3 is an R package designed to produce historical and ahsitorical matrix projection models (MPMs), where historical MPMs are large matrices that incorporate 3 consecutive time steps in each matrix. These matrices allow the history of the individual to be more completely modeled within population dynamics models, which is important given that MPMs typically assume no influence of differences in individual history on population dynamics.
Package lefko3 works on R 3.6.3 or greater on all systems that support R, including Windows, MacOS, Linux, and Unix. The package is currently available for download through CRAN, with documentation available here. See our paper describing it in Methods in Ecology and Evolution.
Current version: 3.6.0 (available from July 2021).
New in this version: Sped up analysis functions through better memory management.
Next version: 3.7.0 (expected late-August 2021).
Coming in next version: LTRE and sLTRE functions.
On the drawing board: Bootstrapping functions for vertical datasets. Parallelization functions.
- Tutorial on theory, methods, and concepts (included in package on CRAN)
- Tutorial example of raw historical and ahistorical MPM analysis using Lathyrus vernus (included in package on CRAN)
- Tutorial example of function-based historical and ahistorical MPM analysis using Cypripedium candidum (included in package on CRAN)
- Tutorial example of historical and ahistorical IPM analysis using Lathyrus vernus (included in package on CRAN)
- Tutorial example of ahistorical age x stage MPM analysis using Lathyrus vernus (included in package on CRAN)
- Video tutorial: Intro to lefko3 with a short analysis of Cypripedium candidum
Power Demography is a semiannual event incorporating workshops aimed at showcasing the cutting edge in demography, and at training the next generation of demographers. Meetings occur in May/June and November. All Power Demography events include workshops taught by leaders in the field, and the series is capped off in November with a symposium disseminating the best current research. Events are held at the University of Tokyo's Komaba Campus, and participants are asked to register.
Two workshops, including a 4 hour intro to lefko3 on 30 July and a 4 hour intro to using COMPADRE and COMADRE on 31 July. See this page for further details.
Speakers: T. Takada, H. Tomimatsu, F. Ishihama, H. Yokomizo, R.P. Shefferson
Speakers: H. Iijima, R. Kaneko, K. Morita, R. Oizumi, R.P. Shefferson, Y. Tachiki
Speakers: Y. Kawai, R. Shefferson, M. Shimada, T. Takada, M. Umezaki, H. Yokomizo